Today’s topic is on how to start a business website. We’re going to take a look at the mindset a person has to have when jumping feet first into the online world.
Now starting a business website is actually the easiest part to owning your own website. Well at least that’s in theory anyway.
Before you make the leap forward to purchasing and creating an actual website you have to imagine it first. You have to turn your vision into reality.
- What will it look like?
- Who will your audience be?
- Will you sell high end or low ticket products?
- What do you want to inform people about?
- What will the name be?
- What is it that you want to sale?
- What is it that you want to teach or what point do you want to get across?
- Will there be physical or digital products?
- Will you create your own logo?
These are just a few questions you have to ask yourself before the purchase of a website.
All of these questions take place way before you go to buy your website. These questions are more geared to your website when it’s created.
Now when you’re shopping around looking where to get a website you ask questions like this:
- Where do I purchase a website at?
- Who do I purchase a website from?
- Who will create my website? Will I make it or pay somebody to create one for me?
- How much will it cost?
- Will it be a 1 time fee to have it up and running or will it be a reoccurring bill?
- What are the necessary components to withstand a website?
- Will I buy an expensive high end website set up or will it be a cheaper version?
The Reasons Websites Fail/Succeed
The reason why beginning websites fail/Succeed varies. In conducting my research I found out that beginning websites have these similarities when failing or succeeding.
When it comes to beginning websites failing these were the characteristics:
- The lack of promotion. Not enough ways to get people to visit their website.
- Not Using SEO’s to get ranked on Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
- The website has a poor design.
- The website is not mobile friendly. Now days everyone uses their phones to view websites.
- Bad Navigation. If people have a hard time viewing your website or trying to locate a certain feature.
When it came to beginning websites succeeding these were the characteristics:
- Purpose and Clarity. Having a clear, well-defined purpose on what you will be delivering.
- Appearance. Having an inviting website. Having it being friendly on the eyes.
- Navigation. Having the visitors get where they need without too much trouble.
- Using SEO’s. Having this feature helps drive visitors to your website.
It’s your business treat it as such. Treat it as if it was a brick and mortar business. In an online business you may or may not have physical products.
So with the click of a button you can get your digital information or products out to the world without having to physical house inventory.
However if you are selling digital products you still need to make sure the customers receives an updated version that runs fast and doesn’t have glitches.
You may need to have customer service support in case your customers run into any problems.
You may need an automated system to let customers know that you have a new product/service on the market.
These are all things to think about before you start a business website.
If your online business does consist of physical products you have to ask yourself questions such as these:
- How will I keep up with the inventory?
- Will there be storage fees?
- Where will you stock/house the inventory?
- Who will be the shipping provider?
- Will you buy whole sale?
- Will you sell high or low end products?
- How often will you purchase the products, etc?
The Tech Age
It’s almost 2020 and everything is turning futuristic and almost all businesses are turning to the internet.
Even with the traditional well-established brick and mortar companies they have turned to websites to do business.
Just ask stores like Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Companies like Netflix launched a new movement in how to use the new technology that’s presented to us today in this new tech era.
So selling digital products wouldn’t be a bad way to go if you decided on that direction for your website.
Companies like Uber Eats and Door Dash has started a new phenomenon on the way we eat and receive delivers.
Places like McDonald’s and Chipotle can deliver to your door now. It’s no more just getting delivers from your neighborhood fast food places.
“If” you can think of a food they probably deliver all because someone saw a need to create a website to help people that otherwise would have been without or less fortunate.
So when we see companies like Google, YouTube, and Yahoo.
Even though they are giants now they are all just websites and before they got to the status that they are now they too were once small companies asking themselves “How to Start A Business Website”.
I have found out that building a website is not easy unless you are a tech savvy person or you know a lot about starting businesses.
“If” you are anything like me and have no experience in either area then you can always get a professional to build you a website.
In today’s world you can get an individual to build you a website from scratch or you can have a reputable company who specializes in building websites.
However, the bottom line will come down to how detailed and professional you want it to look and how much money you are willing to spend.
Don’t Half-Ass It
Starting a business website takes time, money, persistence, dedication, patience, understanding’ and follow through.
Like most things in life you get whatever it is that you put into it. If you half-ass it you will end up with a half-ass website that delivers half-ass services that will only get you half the people that’s attended to come to your website.
When you short change the process you not only cheat the people you tend to serve, but you short change yourself as well.
In conclusion, starting a successful business website takes time and effort but it can be done.
So give it your all and no matter the outcome or where you land, it won’t be in vain because you gave it everything you had to make your dream a reality.
So aim for the moon and if you happen to miss it you will still be amongst the stars.